10 Things I Miss About Korea

00:58

Missing places you lived, visited or came from is a totally normal thing, and you often find its weird little quirks that you took for granted when you were there. As much as I love Scotland and everything it has to offer,  here's my list of 10 things I miss about Korea:



1. 노래방!!!! Noraebang!! (Korean Karaoke)

Karaoke is always fun but in the UK you have to sing in front of the whole bar and wait your turn. There is actually nothing more fun than getting a group of friends together and singing all the cringey throwback songs with that awful reverb in your own private room. I wish 24hr private Karaoke was a thing here...

2. The weather... 

How annoyingly British of me to say it but the weather is just so good in Korea! The sun always shines, the winters are cold and the summers are hot. Since my return to Scotland I think I've seen the sun about 7 times and my skin has gone back to its usual shade of translucent white.

3. Convenience stores (7 Eleven, GS25, CU etc.)

No matter what the question is, the convenience store is the answer. On a night out? Need somewhere to have a break? Convenience store. Feeling hungry? Need a full hot meal and a place to sit down and eat it? Convenience store. Need a seat? Want to sit in the sun? Convenience Store. The list goes on.

Obviously Scotland has corner shops, (yes, even in the Highlands, no, we are not cave people) but they just aren't the same.

4. Korean cosmetics.

Etude House and Tony Moly have to be about the cutest makeup shops ever and they have THE cutest packaging. Not to mention how cheap yet high quality everything is. Getting super pigmented, creamy, long lasting eyeshadows for 2000won each (£1.40) just does not happen here.

which brings me on to the next thing:

5. Everything is cute.

From face cream in a panda shaped tub to juice bottles with the cutest illustrations all over them. Its almost harder to buy plain things in Korea. It brings me immense joy when even the most basic, utilitarian things can be so cute you smile every time you use them. I'm closet Kitsch, tomboy on the outside "my mascara is a panda and my purse is a bunny rabbit" on the inside.

6. A daily chuckle at english slogan T-shirts.

I'm Just going to leave these photos here:






7. The scenery

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Scottish Highlands more than anything. The scenery is just different in Korea. There are so many trees and hills and best of all, cherry blossoms. The cherry blossoms literally turned everything pink for two weeks and then it was, like, snowing petals for a day!





8. Kakaotalk/KakaoFriends

I am so unbelievably annoyed and upset that I managed to lock myself out of my account and lose all of my contacts. It was the best/cutest messaging app ever and I have lost contact with my Korean friends by locking myself out and I will never get over it. I miss it so much.

9. Peach flavoured everything

Peach is a flavour we just do not have enough here, and I'm really not sure why? Its marvellous.

10. The people

My friends, both Korean and other foreigners, made the whole experience absolutely amazing. And I miss them all the most out of everything.

















You Might Also Like

0 comments